There’s a whole lot of buzz about social media these days (is it any wonder?). This information originates in the eMarketing Association LinkedIn group but I thought it was worth sharing.
- CREATING TOO MANY GROUPS, PAGES ETC. – If you create several LinkedIn groups, twitter accounts, and Facebook pages/groups, you will have a lot of small groups vs. one large group. Be careful of creating accounts, one Facebook page with 5,000 followers is usually better than 5 pages with 1,000 followers each. There are occasions where niche marketing may require several pages, but each page/group you have will have to be promoted individually. Additionally sub pages can cannibalize from your main company page or group.
- TWEETING TOO OFTEN – Start tweeting 20 times a day and people will begin to un-follow you. Ad some value with statistics, really interesting links, and discounts/promotional offers.
- BUILDING YOUR FACEBOOK LIKES BY USING CONTESTS/GIVE-A-WAYS – If you are running a contest or drawing on Facebook, or considering running one, check out Facebook’s guidelines. See www.facebook.com/promotions_guidelines.php for the details.
- INCOMPLETE/BAD FACEBOOK PAGE INFORMATION – Go to your Facebook page “edit page” in the upper right hand corner. Ensure that your company description, permissions etc. are accurate and up to date. If you don’t “allow” people to post on your wall, then you are probably wasting your time having a group.
- NOT ADDING A FACEBOOK/LINKEDIN LIKE BOX TO YOUR HOME PAGE – Go to
to find out how. You can get code for your LinkedIn group under “send invitations” tab.
- NOT “LIKING” THE EMARKETING ASSOCIATION FACEBOOK PAGE – Go to:
and hit “like”