How to Apply for JAMK’s Master’s Degree Programmes (conducted in English) 2012

Posted: March 5, 2012 by Alison in Food For Thought, Get Educated
Tags: , , , , , , ,
International Business Management

Selection criteria
The requirements for eligibility are a bachelor’s level degree in the field of business and administration or other equivalent degree, and at least three years (36 months) of relevant work experience after the bachelor’s degree.

The application period is from 5 March to 3 April 2012 (until 4.15 pm. Finnish time, GMT+2). When the application period starts the online application form will be available at /english.

Please note, that applicants applying with a non-Finnish qualification need to send copies of the certificates to the admissions office. If certificates are written in any other language than Finnish, Swedish or English, you have to enclose authorised translations of the certificates in one of these languages. The translator must sign and stamp the translations. The copies of degree certificates and work certificates must be at our Admissions Office not later than 12 April 2012 (until 4.15 pm Finnish time, GMT+2).

Apply: application form (application period opens 5 March 2012)

Entrance examination

All the applicants who have demonstrated their eligibility will be invited to the entrance examination. Entrance examination will be organized in Finland 22 May 2012.

Student selection is based on the total score of the entrance examination, the grade of bachelor’s thesis, and work experience. Total points from entrance examination are 50 points. The applicant must score at least 20 points in the entrance examination in order to be admitted to the programme.

English language skills are assessed in the entrance examination on a pass/fail basis. An applicant who fails the language test one cannot be admitted to the programme.

Tuition fee for Non-EU/EEA citizens

The Master’s Degree Programmes conducted in English have a tuition fee for NON-EU/EEA citizens. However, there are no tuition fees for non-EU/EEA citizens who are equivalent to European Union citizens or non-EU/EEA citizens who have a right to permanent residence in Finland.

Non-EU/EEA citizens living permanently in Finland must provide certification of being considered equivalent to a European Union Citizen: a photocopy of the residence permit (the residence permit has the letter P).

The tuition fee for non-EU/EEA citizens is 8000€/academic year, but one has an opportunity to apply for a JAMK’s scholarship. The scholarship may cover maximum half of the tuition fee (max. 4000€). The scholarship application can be filled at the entrance examination.

If you have further questions regarding the tuition fee please contact us by email: admissions(at)

More about selection criteria

Admission points

Entrance examination 50 points
The grade of bachelor’s thesis 30 points
Work experience 20 points
Maximum points 100 points
Work Experience

The minimum requirement regarding work experience is at least three years (36 months) of relevant work experience after the bachelor’s or other equivalent degree.

JAMK accepts work experience also after a vocational college diploma or a higher vocational diploma (in Finnish opisto- tai ammatillisen korkea-asteen tutkinto) before completing a bachelor’s degree. If an applicant has completed one of these diplomas before graduating from the bachelor’s degree the work experience will be accepted also after the prior degree. Even in this case the minimum requirement of work experience from the field is 3 years (36 months).

Only the work experience that exceeds three years (required for eligibility) gives admission points; two month work experience from a relevant field equals to one admission point. The maximum amount of admissions points from work experience is 20 points. The work experience must to be from the field of the degree (used for applying) or from field that the applicant is currently applying. Applicant can count in work experience until 31 July 2012.

In the application it is necessary to fill in work experience as whole months. Part-time work can be transferred into whole months, in a way that, 150 hours or 20 full workdays (at least 7 hours per day) corresponds to one month. Service in an army, non-military service or nursing leave is not considered as work experience.

Admission points from work experience can be recieved only from work experience from which the applicant has work certificate. If an applicant has worked as an entrepreneur it is necessary to provide to the admissions office a document which proves that the applicant has YEL- or MYEL-insurance.

The selection is not final until the original certificates have been checked. If the applicant has given false information about his/her qualifications, it may make him/her ineligible for admission. The original certificates will be checked at the student services in the beginning of studies.

Further Information

Master’s degree programme in International Business Management
Student’s wellbeing at JAMK

  1. Charl says:

    Walking in the prsnceee of giants here. Cool thinking all around!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s